Nopporn Thasana obtained his Ph. D. in organic chemistry from Mahidol University in 2003 under the supervision of Prof. Somsak Ruchirawat. In 2001, he was a visiting fellow PhD student at Bristol University in UK with Prof. T. Gallagher. He started his career as a researcher in the Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry at Chulabhorn Research Institute (CRI) in 1997. In 2010 and 2015, he was promoted to be research scientist I and II, respectively. He joined the faculty in Chemical Sciences Program at Chulabhorn Graduate Institute (CGI) and was promoted to be an Associate Professor in 2018. He was received many the ACP Lectureship awards in 2011, 2015, 2017 and 2018. Recently he was awarded the “Chirantan Rasayan Sanstha” gold medal award in the International Symposium Advance Renewable & Functional Materials in 2019. His main research interests are the search for bioactive compounds from pteridophytes as well as development of synthetic methodology and application to synthesis of natural products.
NTeam Research Interests
1. Synthetic Methodology of Heterocycles Derived from Oxazolone Derivatives Synthetic methodology of various heterocycles including indanes, isobenzofurans, naphthalenes, naphthyridines, carbolines, isoquinolines and medium-sized cyclic compounds (8-10-membered ring) has been developed based on the application of oxazolone derivatives targeting to biological activities screening.
2. Total Synthesis of Natural Products To investigate our developed synthetic methodology to synthesize some biologically active natural products such as indole alkaloids including clausena and naucleamide alkaloids as well as quinoline/isoquinoline-derived alkaloids such as erythrina and lamellarin-derived alkaloids.
Natural Products Chemistry
3. Phytochemical Studied of Ferns and Lycophytes Targeting to Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) To investigation of phytochemical constituents of ferns and lycophytes for non-communicable diseases (NCDs), isolated biologically active compounds in various classes such as lycopodium alkaloids, flavonoids, and terpenoids will be evaluated for anti-cancer, anti-acetylcholinesterase, anti-osteoporosis and anti-allergy.
4. Functionalization of Natural Products to Improve Their Biological Activities To improve their biological activities, functionalization of isolated compounds from ferns and lycophytes including lycopodium alkaloids, flavonoids, and triterpenoids has been investigated using chemical synthesis and computational methods-guided design for drug-target interactions (DTIs).
5. Development of NMR-based Metabolomics to Investigate Chemical Diversity and Determine Biomarker of Ferns and Lycophytes Using Chemometrics To establish an in-house Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) database for phytochemical profiling of both extracts of wild ferns/lycophytes and cultivars and determine biomarker using our developed NMR-based metabolomic techniques.
Worayuthakrn, R.; Suddee, N.; Nealmongkol, P.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Copper-mediated C-O/C-N bond formation: A facile synthesis of-3-amidocoumarin, 3-amidoazacoumarin and N-aeroylindole derivatives. Synlett 2022, 33, DOI: 10.1055/a-1784-1973: Art ID: ST-2022-U0056-C.
Thamnarak, W.; Eurtivong, C.; Pollawatn, R.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Two New Norlignans, Siamensinols A and B, from Selaginella siamensis Hieron and Their Biological Activities. Nat. Prod. Res. 2021, 1-10, doi 10.1080/14786419.2021.2022664.
Anukanon, S.; Pongpamorn, P.; Tiyabhorn, W.; Chatwichien, J.; Niwetmarin, W.; Sessions, R. B.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. In silico-guided Rational Drug Design and Semi-synthesis of C(2) Functionalized Huperzine A Derivatives as Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor. ACS Omega 2021, 6, 19924-19939, doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.1c02875.
Worayuthakarn, R.; Deesiri, S.; Chainok, K.; Wannarit, N.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Highly Regioselective Tandem Reaction of Ene-Yne-Oxazolones Induced by H-Phosphonates: Construction of Phosphinylindane Derivatives. J. Org. Chem. 2021, 86, 9360-9383, DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.1c00609.
Ngernnak, C.; Thamnarak, W.; Thaisaeng, W.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Lycopodium Alkaloids from Thai Club Mosses. Prayogik Rasayan 2021, 5(1), 7-16, doi 10.53023/p.rasayan-20210326.
Boonya-udtyan, S.; Thasana, N.; Jarussophon, N.; Ruchirawat, S. Serratene triterpenoids and their biological activities from Lycopodiaceae plants. Fitoterapia 2019, 136, 104181.
Nilsu, T.; Thaisaeng, W.; Thamnarak, W.; Eurtivong, C.; Jumraksa, A.; Thorroad S.; Khunnawutmanotham, N.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Three Lycopodium alkaloids from Thai club mosses. Phytochemistry 2018, 156, 83-88.
Pramthaisong, C.; Worayuthakarn, R.; Pharikornburee, V.; Duangthongyou, T.; Rattanakam, R.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Base-mediated cascade cyclization: Stereoselective synthesis of benzooxazocinone. Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 4015-4019.
Pongpamorn, P.; Wan-erlor, S.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Semi-synthetic studies of -onocerin derivative for cytotoxicity. Phytochemistry Lett. 2018, 23, 106-115.
Bag, B. G.; Hasan, S. N.; Pongpamorn, P.; Thasana, N. First hierarchical self-assembly of a seco-triterpenoid -onocerin yielding supramolecular architectures. ChemistrySelect 2017, 2, 6650-6657.
Nealmongkol, P.; Calmes, J.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Synthesis of phenanthridinones using Cu- or Pd-mediated C-N bond formation. Tetrahedron 2017, 73, 735-741.
Pongpamorn, P.; Wan-erlor, S.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Lycoclavatumide and 8β,11α-dihydroxylycopodine, a new fawcettimine and lycopodine-type alkaloid from Lycopodium clavatum. Tetrahedron 2016, 72, 7065-7069.
Thiengmag, T.; Whangsuk, W.; Chuencharoen, S.; Thasana, N.; Mongkolsuk, S.; Loprasert, S. Bacterial consortium expressing surface displayed, intra and extracellular lipases and pseudopyronine B for the degradation of oil. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech. 2016, 13, 2067-2078.
Nilsu, T.; Thorroad, S.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Squarrosine A and pyrrolhuperzine A, new Lycopodium alkaloids from Thai and Philippine Huperzia squarrosa. Planta Med. 2016, 82, 1046-1050.
Noomnual, S.; Thasana, N.; Sungkeeree, P.; Mongkolsuk S.; Loprasert, S. Streptanoate, a new anticancer butanoate from Streptomyces sp. DC3. J. Antibiotics 2016, 69, 124-127.
Thorroad, S.; Worawittayanont, P.; Khunnawutmanotham, N.; Chimnoi, N.; Jumruksa, A.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Three new Lycopoium alkaloids from Huperzia carinata and Huperzia squarrosa. Tetrahedron 2014, 70, 8017-8022.
Isobe, M.; Murata, M.; Hanashima, S.; Nishida, A.; Loh, T. P.; Abd. Rahman, N.; Thasana, N.; Chittchang, M. JSPS Asian Core Program: 7th & 8th ICCEOCA (Phase II/NICCEOCA-3 &-4), 2nd & 3rd Junior ICCEOCA, and Partly IUPAC Asian Project. Chem. Asian J. 2014, 9, 1689-1696.
Worayuthakarn, R.; Boonya-udtayan, S.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Total synthesis of unsymmetric benzils, scandione and calophione A. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 2496-2507.
Nealmongkol, P.; Tangdenpaisal, K.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Cu(I)-mediated lactone formation in subcritical water: A benign synthesis of benzopyranones and urolithins A-C. Tetrahedron 2013, 69, 9277-9283.
Boonya-udtayan, S.; Eno, M.; Ruchirawat, S.; Mahidol, C.; Thasana, N. Palladium-catalyzed intramolecular C-H activation: Synthesis and biological activities of indolobenzazocin-8-ones. Tetrahedron 2012, 68, 10293-10301.
Worayuthakarn, R.; Nealmongkol, P.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Synthesis of benzoindoloquinolizines via Cu(I)-mediated C-N bond formation. Tetrahedron 2012, 68, 2864-2875.
Wittayalai, S.; Sathalalai, S.; Thorroad, S.; Worawittayanon, P.; Ruchirawat, S.; Thasana, N. Lycophlegmariols A-D: Cytotoxic serratene triterpenoids from the club moss Lycopodium phlegmaria L. Phytochemistry 2012, 76, 117-123.
Worawittayanon, P.; Ruadree, J.; Disadee, W.; Sahakitpichan, P. Sitthimonchai, S.; Thasana, N.; Ruchirawat, S.; Kanchanapoom, T. Iridoid and flavone glycosides from Asystasia salicifolia and their antioxidant activities. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 2012, 40, 38-42.
Adachi, M.; Higuchi, K. Thasana, N.; Yamada, H.; Nishikawa, T. Stereocontrolled synthesis of an indole moiety of sespendole and stereochemical assignment of the side chain. Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 114-117.